GROUP Three Rugby League has abandoned plans to run a women's tackle competition in conjunction with the season-proper.
A women's premiership will now kick-off on October 9 and run for six weeks with a grand final at the conclusion.
The group initially decided to run a truncated competition starting on July 31. This would have concluded with the grand final in Sunday, September 26, the same as the group's other grades.
Four sides, Forster-Tuncurry, Wauchope, Macleay and Wingham nominated. However, at least one of the teams - thought to be Macleay - later withdrew.
There were also concerns expressed by the other sides at players having to back-up for league tag games on the same day, sometimes at different venues.
Group Three chief executive, Mal Drury said clubs could now nominate for the competition which starts on October 9. He said this would be restricted to Group Three teams only. Last year the group conducted a competition that involved sides from the Group Two area.
"We did more travelling than the Leyland Brothers, with games at Sawtell, Coffs Harbour and Bowraville,'' he said.
"We'll make this year's competition more user-friendly.''
Group Three Junior League also plans to run under 14 and 16 girls competitions in conjunction with the seniors.