A second case of COVID-19 has been detected at Darawank, north of Tuncurry.
This is the third case in the MidCoast local government area in four days, with a case at Possum Brush on Wednesday and then Darawank on Thursday.
RELATED: NSW records 961 local COVID-19 cases
"One young female has tested positive (at Darawank) and the infection was acquired outside of the MidCoast LGA. All family members have been transferred to COVID health facilities," Member for Myall Lakes, Stephen Bromhead said on Friday, September 24.
A total of 45 new cases have been detected in the Hunter New England Health (HNEH) district in the reporting period to 8pm Saturday, September 25.
This takes the total number in HNEH in the current outbreak to 673. The health district reported that there are currently 439 active cases.
- 19 are from Lake Macquarie LGA - 3 in Edgeworth,3 in Mount Hutton, 2 in Blackalls Parks, 2 in Bonnells Bay, 1 in Toronto, 1 in Cardiff, 1 in Mirrabooka, 1 in Dora Creek, 1 in Lakelands, 1 in Teralba, 1 in Valentine, 1 in Windermere Park, 1 in Yarrawonga Park
- 15 are from Newcastle LGA - 3 in New Lambton, 2 in Mayfield, 2 in Cooks Hill, 1 in Wallsend, 1 in Merewether, 1 in Newcastle East, 1 in Bar Beach, 1 in North Lambton, 1 in Islington, 1 in Adamstown Heights, 1 in Maryland
- 5 are from Cessnock LGA - 3 in Kurri Kurri, 1 in Weston, 1 in Cessnock
- 4 are from Maitland LGA - 2 in Tenambit, 1 in South Maitland, 1 in Farley.
- 1 are from Singleton LGA - 1 in Gowrie
- 1 is from Mid-Coast LGA - 1 in Darawank
Thirteen of the total active cases are currently being cared for in hospital and two are in ICU.
Thirty two are linked, seven are unlinked, and six are still under investigation; 28 were infectious in the community, 11 were isolating while infectious, six are still under investigation.
A total of 737 close contacts are in isolation.
NSW recorded 961 new locally acquired cases of COVID-19 in the 24 hours to 8pm last night.
There has been a detection of COVID-19 viral fragments for the first time in the Muswellbrook sewage catchment. There are known cases in this area. The community is encoyuraged to get tested for COVID-19 if they are experiencing even mild symptoms.
To see vaccination rates by postcode visit https://bit.ly/Vaccination_by_postcode.
To view the case location map for NSW visit https://bit.ly/NSW_CaseLocations.
NSW Health sends a text message to people who have checked in at close contact venues with further information. It also makes a follow-up call to close contacts to discuss the isolation and testing requirements. If you have not received a text message, please call 1800 943 553.
Our COVID-19 news articles relating to public health and safety are free for anyone to access. However, we depend on subscription revenue to support our journalism. If you are able, please subscribe here. If you are already a subscriber, thank you for your support.