We still have a couple of World War II diggers who are pleased this year's Anzac Day march will go ahead Forster Tuncurry RSL sub-branch secretary, Bob McCallum said.
Preparing for the return of the Sunday, April 25 commemoration after COVID-19 put a stop to marches across the country, Mr McCallum said the diggers were pretty chuffed mainly because their age was catching up with them.
"All our members are very happy," Mr McCallum said.
Unlike larger, city events, the Forster Tuncurry Anzac Day would go ahead without any caps on march or spectator numbers.
However, Mr McCallum warned this could be subject to change at any time.
Across Australia, Anzac Day events have been given the green light by state governments to proceed as long as COVID-safe planning is in place.
Anyone attending the march or service will have to register.Bob McCallum
Last year, Anzac Day was marked by Australians standing in their driveways and lighting a candle at dawn as marches were cancelled amid stringent COVID-19 restrictions.
Originally, the sub-branch had planned to hold a dawn service in the confines of Club Forster.
"But, with the easing of COVID-19 restrictions we have put together a safety plan."
Covid marshalls will be on-hand throughout the dawn service, march and commemorative service.
"Anyone attending the march or service will have to register."
Also making news:
Mr McCallum said groups of marchers can contact him beforehand with contact details or hand a list of names to marshalls on the day.
He anticipated up to 3000 would attend.
Following the same format as previous years, the day will begin at 6am with a dawn service at the twin-towns' main memorial and site of the first RSL club, Lone Pine Memorial Park, Tuncurry.
The march through Tuncurry will begin at 10.30am from Park Street followed by the main service from 11am back at Lone Pine.
Mr McCallum can be contacted on 0418 601 238.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content: