The out-of-control fires burning in the Great Lakes has resulted in the closure of the Pacific Highway.
Earlier this afternoon, Friday, November 8 the Pacific Highway between Rainbow Flat and Bulahdelah, The Lakes Way between Rainbow Flat and Failford Road and Failford Road, between The Pacific Way and The Lakes Way were closed.
The closure is a result of a bushfire that began burning yesterday afternoon November 7 in the Hillville area, south of Taree.
Due to strong, dry winds the fire is spreading quickly and has crossed the Pacific Highway.
The NSW RFS has listed the fire at emergency level.
It's one of three fires on emergency level in the Mid Coast region, plus numerous across the State, with the RFS expected more to be added as weather conditions worsen this afternoon.
Motorists are advised to avoid the area and delay non-essential travel as there are no diversions.
Motorists already in the area are advised to follow the directions of emergency services personnel on the ground.
Other road affected by fires around the State are:
- The Pacific Highway is closed at Port Macquarie between the Oxley Highway and Hastings River Drive.
- Forster - The Southern Parkway is closed between Cape Hawke Drive and Hesper Drive.
- Crowdy Head - Crowdy Head Road is closed between Harrington and Crowdy Head.
- Thrumster- The Oxley Highway is closed eastbound between the John Oxley Drive roundabout at Thrumster, and Wrights Road.
- Walcha to Bago - The Oxley Highway is closed between Brackendale Road and Comboyne Road. Motorists are advised to use Waterfall Way instead.
- Bald Nob to Eatonsville - The Gwydir Highway remains closed in both directions between Bald Nob Road and Tindal Road. Motorists are advised to use the Bruxner Highway or Waterfall Way instead.
- Billys Creek to Nymboida - Armidale Road is closed in both directions. Motorists are advised to use Waterfall Way instead.
- Waterfall Way is suitable for light vehicles and the Bruxner Highway is suitable for light and heavy vehicles but not B-doubles.
- Lower Creek - Kempsey Road is closed in both directions between Raspberry Road and Lower Creek Road.
Motorists should avoid areas affected by bush fires as conditions can change quickly.
There is no forecast as to when these roads will open.
For the latest traffic information, visit Live Traffic.