Forster Fire and Rescue captain Paul Langley has described the open day they held on Saturday, May 18 as an overwhelming success.
"It was outstanding. Between 300 and 400 people showed up," he said.
"We ran out of show bags within the first couple of hours."
A state-wide initiative designed to give the public a better understanding of what firefighters do, the day saw fire stations around NSW open their doors between 10am - 2pm.
"Our firefighters do fight fires and save people from burning buildings, but our mission and our capabilities extend far beyond fire response," Fire and Rescue NSW commissioner, Paul Baxter, said.
"From road crashes, hazardous material incidents and natural disasters to urban search and rescue and humanitarian relief, our firefighters are prepared for anything and ready to help anyone, anytime, anywhere."
Mr Langley said at a local level it was great to raise awareness among the community about what the brigade was capable of, with the station providing a number of informative displays throughout the day, including showing off the tools they used to extricate patients from vehicles.
Attendants were also given the opportunity to check out the station, trucks and equipment used by firefighters in their duties.
With beautiful Autumn weather on offer, Mr Langley said the day was as popular as ever with children, with many parents and grandparents bringing their kids down to enjoy the exciting spectacle and nab a snag from the free sausage sizzle.
Mr Langley believed the day was also a great way to build rapport between the station's firefighters and the community, which in turn gave firefighters added confidence to respond in critical situations.
An annual event, Mr Langley said the station was once again looking forward to hosting the open day in 2020, with expectations that the event's popularity will continue to grow.
In the last two months, Forster Fire and Rescue has responded to a number of incidents in the Great Lakes, including a house fire in Green Point, a building fire at Chung Wa restaurant in Tuncurry, a child whose arm became stuck in a vending machine, and a gas leak that proved to be a false alarm.
Stay ahead with local news by signing up for the Great Lakes Advocate newsletter here.