Police pelted with bottles

A police officer was injured and a police radio stolen during the incident.
A police officer was injured and a police radio stolen during the incident.

A senior police officer lost a tooth whilst other officers were pelted with bottles during a melee as they responded to an out of control party in Forster on Saturday night. Six people were arrested and charged following the incident.

At around 11pm Saturday, police were called to residence in Paradise Avenue due to a number of noise complaints from nearby residents. On arrival police spoke with an occupant of the premises who stated that he had invited 60 people to a 21st birthday party but that numbers had swelled. He agreed that the party needed to be closed down and attempted to do so with the assistance of police. 

As a result about 200 people, many of whom were intoxicated, congregated in South Street. When Police attempted to move them on they were pelted with bottles.

Further police were called to assist from Taree and Bulahdelah with at total of 11 officers called to the scene. 

Police issued a number of move on directions and arrested four men and two women for a range of offences including failure to move on, offensive language, resisting arrest, possessing a prohibited drug and hindering police. They were issued with crime infringement and field court attendance notices and will appear in Forster Local Court in February.

Investigations into the incident are ongoing with the possibility of further arrests.

Police vehicles sustained damage as did a number of neighbouring letterboxes. Police are also appealing for the return of a stolen police radio which was taken from a vehicle. The device has been rendered unusable but police would still like it returned to Forster Police Station.

The melee was one of several gatecrashing incidents across the state as temperatures soared on Saturday.

A 17-year-old boy is in intensive care after being attacked with an iron bar by gatecrashers at a party in Forestville in Sydney’s north and an 18-year-old man was glassed in the face during an altercation with gatecrashers at a birthday celebration in Seven Hills west of Sydney.


Discuss "Police pelted with bottles"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.